This spring has been full of new life, growth and encouragement. So full, in fact, that The AIM Monthly has become somewhat of a mini AIM Quarterly this time around!
This edition features history-making raid news, AIM Family Gathering highlights and a brief glance at AIM’s first-ever All Staff Conference.
Enjoy the Spring Recap and be sure to share it with your friends, family and co-workers. And as always, thank you for the many ways you partner with AIM.
We look forward, with anticipation, to what this summer has in store!
- Worlds Apart; Unified by One Vision
- Making History One Raid at a Time
- A 30-Year Prison Sentence
- Planes, Trains & Automobiles
- Smile, Your Shopping Makes a Difference for Survivors
- Next Generation Training from Within
- Conviction in Cambodia’s 1st Child Labor Ring Bust
- Drumroll, Please!
- The Power of Prayer
Worlds Apart; Unified by One Vision
“Your ordinary acts of love and hope point to the extraordinary promise that every human life is of inestimable value.”
– Desmond Tutu
The first almost-all-staff conference held in Cambodia earlier this spring was simply amazing. Staff, from both the US Office and Cambodia, were able to meet face-to-face for the first time. We enjoyed several days of worship, connection, celebration and vision casting. The Holy Spirit was certainly in our midst and we’re all so very thankful for this precious time together. Join us in praying over the many future plans ahead for AIM.
A Few Highlights from the past 11 years:
- 1,317 – The number of churches we’ve partnered with in Cambodia through leadership development and church planting.
- 67 – The number of churches we’ve planted in Vietnam. We’re now looking to branch into Thailand and Laos.
- 995* – The number of lives we’ve prevented from being trafficked.
- 509* – The number of lives we’ve rescued through our programs.
- 473* – The number of lives we’ve restored through AIM programs.
- 564* – The number of reintegrations we’ve taken part in all these years.
- 2,541* – The total number of lives impacted through Prevention, Rescue, Restoration & Reintegration these past 11 years.
*As of February 2016.
“While I’ve been working at AIM for almost 2 years, this was my first trip to Cambodia. I’d always wanted to go and see our programs in action, but this trip added another opportunity through the conference. It was amazing to celebrate 11 years of ministry with the very people doing the work on the ground. It was nice to finally meet the people I’ve been emailing for years, to connect with them on a personal level and to build friendships that I know will last a lifetime. And our programs… well, if it’s possible to be any more impressed with AIM, I am. I had a really good idea of the impact being made, but seeing it in person, in the smiles of children and the faces of those in the community, it just takes everything to a new level. Now that I’m back in the US, I can pray specific prayers over our staff on the ground and over each of the programs making a difference. I’ve walked where they walk daily, I’ve encountered their daily joys and struggles (on a small scale) and I have personal experiences to go with each program. We’ve been unified like never before. I can’t wait for my next trip back. In the meantime, I’ll be praising and praying alongside my brothers and sisters in Cambodia from afar.” – Emily Wheatley, Communications Manager
Making History One Raid at a Time
2016 continues to make history and multiply rescues beyond our imagination with AIM Rescue Team!
Spring has led our 2016 count to 10 raids, the rescue of 26 women & 35 girls and the arrest of 16 offenders. One of these cases made history with the first successful virgin sale case in Cambodia in several years. Four girls, ages 15-18, were rescued en route to being sold and 1 trafficker arrested. Did you catch that – en route? That means they were rescued BEFORE their virginity was taken from them! Praise God!
Continue to pray for the safety of our Rescue Team, for the results of these cases and for the restoration, healing and reintegration of these girls and women. Pray that these “firsts” set a precedent for new opportunities and new ways of rescuing those in need.
A 30-Year Prison Sentence
“The United States is the world leader in civil rights, and if you are an American and you hurt a child — no matter where it takes place in the world — you will be prosecuted…All children must be protected from sexual predators — and today’s verdicts confirm that.” – Assistant U.S. Attorney David Herzog
In early March, Boyajian was convicted in a Cambodian child sex tourism case after 7 years of delays. Caught in Svay Pak through Operation Twisted Traveler, he faces up to 30 years in prison. Get the full story HERE.
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Spring brought quite a bit of travel for many! Whether it was our US Staff traveling to Cambodia for the all-staff conference or Don and Bridget heading to the Sacramento Area for a number of events, or even a trip to a Hong Kong reconnecting with faithful partners, let’s just say we got a travel workout!
- Thrive Conference – Over 100 people attended Don and Bridget’s breakout at Thrive Conference in Northern California this year. In addition to fresh-from-the-field updates on the war on trafficking, they shared some keys to distinguishing God’s command, call and compassion for the oppressed.
- Adventure Homecoming – Adventure has a special place in our hearts here at AIM. It’s where Don and Bridget were on staff and serving when they answered God’s call to Cambodia. They headed back this Spring for a special interview during weekend services. A few weeks later, our Adventure Church family took a second offering for AIM, which brought in close to $100,000. God is good and He is using His people to further His Kingdom and work in Cambodia!
- Hong Kong Travels – In honor of International Women’s Day, several of our Hong Kong friends hosted a screening of The Pink Room Documentary at City University of Hong Kong. Don and Bridget joined several local partners for the screening and a panel discussion. It was so great to be back among so many great friends doing mighty things in the fight against trafficking!
Smile, Your Shopping Makes a Difference for Survivors!
Did you know that you can help out AIM while shopping like you always do on Amazon? Yep, just shop through Amazon Smile, select AIM as your charity and make a difference for survivors every time you shop! Do most of your shopping on your phone? Check out the Amazon Smile app!
Every little bit helps, in fact, we’ve received $1,000 from your purchases alone! Spread the word and increase the impact. Sign up today!
Next Generation Training from Within
We love it when our programs intersect, like this AIM School field trip to one of our AIM Employment Centers. These reintegrated young women are being used to train up the next generation! God is at work!
Conviction in Cambodia’s 1st Child Labor Ring Bust
“there were 11 boys and 11 girls, aged from 6 to 16, being ferried into the city on a daily basis to sell fruit and snacks on the streets and in beer gardens from 6pm to as late as 5am.”
AIM made history last fall with Cambodia’s first-ever child labor ring bust. 22 kids were rescued & 2 adults arrested. This Spring, the arrested couple was sentenced to a 2-year prison sentence.
Join us in praise over the conviction and prayer for harsher laws and punishments for the future.
Over the course of 2 nights at our 2nd Annual AIM Family Gathering, we fully funded our girls’ Opening Month at the brand new AIM Restoration Home!
OUR GOAL WAS $80,000 … WE RAISED $122,532!
Why stop there? We’re close to covering the first TWO months!
We’re extending the opportunity to our AIM Family who couldn’t join us. The goal? Help us reach $150,000!
If you haven’t seen it already, check out the video from our Director of AIM Restoration Home above!
Miss our 2nd Annual AIM Family Gathering? Get the highlights in the second half of this post HERE.
The Power of Prayer
“Hear me, Lord, my plea is just; listen to my cry. Hear my prayer- it does not rise from deceitful lips.” – Psalm 17:1
Below are the headlines from June’s prayer updates:
- US Office Open House was a great success!
- 5 wins and 1 loss for The Lord’s Gym!
- A new approach to health care with the AIM Clinic.
- A year of firsts for the AIM Rescue Team!
- 45.8 million people trapped in modern slavery.
- And many many more (get it all below)
As always, thank you for your prayers and ongoing support. We can’t do any of this without you!